Friday, August 24, 2007

Day 14 -- San Diego to Santee

Friday, Aug 24, 2007

I've been weighing the options of staying or leaving. I might have started home today, but that would put me in L.A. rush hour on a Friday, so I decided to surf and camp one more day.

This is the thirteenth day in a row surfing. That may be a record that, for me, is never broken.

After a leisurely breakfast of yogurt and toast dipped in hot chocolate, and some shopping for ice, milk and other supplies, I headed back to the same beach for some more surfing. The waves weren't quite as good today, and there was a little territorial vibe from the shortboarders, but it was still nice. A little sad to take that last ride of the trip.

Time to find a campsite for the night. I wasn't easy at all. Lake Jennings in El Cajon was full up. I decided it was quicker to just drive to another campground rather than wait on hold for the reservation system, but that one (Santee Lakes) was also full, despite having 300 campsites (only 9 of which are allowed to have tents).

But the third one was the charm (Mission Trails) because this one, despite having only 42 spaces is dry as a desert (actually it is in a desert).

Here's my campsite:

It may look desolate to you, but when you've been driving around for hours trying to find an available campsite, it looks like a dream spot.

No comments: