Friday, August 24, 2007

Day 12 -- San Onofre to Oceanside

Wed, Aug 22, 2007

Getting behind in posts again.

Pretty early start again today, with some morning surfing at San O before continuing on. It was a grey morning, the water was a little choppy, and the waves were meaner. That is, I got beat up a bit paddling out between rides. Plus I forgot sunscreen, so had to paddle in and walk on rocks to rectify that. Really wore myself out. A few "I'm getting too old for this" moments.

Here's a nice old VW at the parking lot which has changed little since this car was manufactured:

Got set up at Guajome (pronounced "You my homie") county park. This turned out to be quietest campground on the trip so far.

I then headed down to the beach at Oceanside to look around. This is the general feel of the beach.
I checked out the waves, to see if I wanted to surf there in the morning.



Then at five, I drove to the house of another Early Retirement buddy, and we had a beer before setting off for a great dinner. We split a dozen fantastic oysters, and then each had salmon. He had cedar-plank grilled salmon and I had hazelnut-encrusted salmon. Best meal I've had in a long time. We had fun talking, and I would have liked to hang out some more and get drunk, but I had to drive back to the campground and get an early start into San Diego.

As it was, I got back to the campsite late enough that the gate was locked. What do I do now? But it turned out that there is a back way in just for campers.

It was quite -- no parties. The only sounds were from the TVs in the RVs.

No comments: