Sunday, May 20, 2007

Making a Surfboard Bag

Up here in the northern lattitudes, the sun isn't as punishing as it is will be in Southern California.




So another thing I'll need for the trip is a board bag. That is, I'll want to protect the board from the damaging UV rays of the sun. I'll also want to protect it from rocks, car parts, and small-caliber arms fire that might hit it when on the SoCal freeways.



Instead of actually paying money for a bag, I took the fleece blankets off my daughter's bed (she's away at college), and sewed the bag myself. OK, actually, I had my wife do the sewing. And she did the cutting out, and the design and all the other stuff too, but I sure saved a lot of money!

Here's the final result:





And here's my wife's description, in my own words, of how she did the sewing:
  1. Lay out the fabric (2 blankets) on floor

  2. Put the board on top (remove sand, seaweed, etc. first)

  3. Mark with chalk around the board, adding about two inches on each side for extra room

  4. Cut blankets (I cut both sides of the top and bottom pieces. Alternatively, you could fold it over the board, and cut only one side).

  5. Pin the pieces together

  6. Sew across the seam if you needed two blankets

  7. Fold over and sew a little "tunnel" in the tail end for the drawstring

  8. Sew side seams

  9. Sew the tip (rounded for better fit)

  10. Turn it inside out (so the sewed part of the seams are on the inside)

  11. Add the drawstring

  12. Tell His Highness that his board bag is ready.

That's all there is to it! The bag is a little longer than necessary, in case I ever get a longer board. The bag is easy to put on and off the board -- easier than some knitted socks that I've tried in the past.
If you don't have a family member who is away at college, you might have to buy some fabric. In that case, I'd recommend something in a light color that will reflect the sun's heat better.
Stay tuned for what the board bag looks like after a few thousand miles!